managing the swap space size on fedora

Mike Wright nobody at nospam.hostisimo.com
Thu Jun 25 17:25:31 UTC 2015

On 06/25/2015 09:55 AM, Angelo Moreschini wrote:
> for what you says, the path of Volume Group should be
> /dev/fedora_localhost...
>
> but when  I use it get the error
> --------------------
> Path required for Logical Volume "fedora_localhost"
> Please provide a volume group name.
> --------------------
>
> to resize the volume group I use the command:
> lvm lvreduce  -L650 G /dev/fedora_localhost

You are confusing "volume group" and "logical volume".  Volume groups
contain logical volumes.

lvreduce means to reduce a logical volume
vgreduce means to reduce a volume group

You cannot arbitrarily change the size of a VOLUME GROUP from e.g. 1000G
to 500G.

When using the lv... and vg... commands it is not necessary to use the
full path, only VG name and LV name (/dev/ not required).  When using
resize2fs you must use the entire path including /dev/.

In your case the logical volumes in fedora_localhost are root,home, and
swap.  You would use lvreduce to reduce the size of one of them.

e.g. lvreduce -L650G fedora_localhost/root.  NEVER reduce a logical
volume until you have already resized it.