Firefox scrollbar problem

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 04:56:31 UTC 2015

On 26 June 2015 at 23:34, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> wrote:
> Gordon Messmer writes:
>
>> I don't know about a workaround, but it's probably worth noting that
>> (unless I'm confused) Firefox in F22 has been ported to GTK3, and
>> Thunderbird has not.
>

> This seems to explain why Firefox's scrollbar acquired the obnoxious
> behavior of the left mouse button click resulting in the scroll position
> jumping directly to the click point, instead of advancing only by a single
> page. It's now necessary to use the right mouse button to do the same thing
> that the left mouse button used to do.
>
> Oh well, just another Gnome "usability improvement": force you to use the
> right mouse button to do what the left mouse button did for at least a
> decade, if not more.

I first noticed that change in behaviour with F21 (where Firefox still
uses GTK2 AFAIK); looking closer, in F21 this change affected GTK2
apps that used the default Adwaita theme. But it seems to affect GTK3
apps natively (or more I can't find any other GTK3 themes to test
with).

Fortunately in an older thread[1] on this ML, someone found a way to
revert to the old/default behaviour by putting this in
~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini:
[Settings]
gtk-primary-button-warps-slider=0

you'll need to restart Firefox for the changes to take effect.

[1] https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2014-December/455854.html

--
Ahmad Samir