Not able to do a remote install over the network ...

dwoody5654 dwoody5654 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 21:09:26 UTC 2015

I can do a remote install when both computers are on the local network
but when I try to do a remote install on a friend's computer the
following occurs:

I remote login to his computer and setup /boot/grub2/grub.cfg for the
remote install to go from F20 to F21.

menuentry 'Remote Install' {
set root='hd0,msdos1'
echo    'Loading Linux'
linux /boot/vmlinuz-remote
repo=hd:sda3:/install/Fedora-Server-netinst-i386-21.iso noselinux
ks.device=MAC_address ks=hd:sda3:/install/ks.cfg --noip6 vnc
vncconnect=MY_IP vncpassword=PASSWORD ramdisk_size=8192 panic=30
echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
initrd  /boot/initrd-remote.img
}

I then issue the 2 commands:
grub2-reboot "Remote Install"
reboot

His computer reboots, highlights the 'Remote Install' entry and then boots.

When it gets to the part on connecting VNC it displays connected.

I  had started vncviewer --listen on my computer.
This is listening on port 5500. I also had port 5500 ACCEPTed in my
iptables.

I get the password window type the password in, the window disappears
and then NOTHING else happens.

I have tried the connect mode, direct mode, re-tested on a local
computer to verify I have his computer setup correctly.
I have setup my firewall to ACCEPT all packets from his IP address.

I took out the vncpassword and I got the initial window and NOTHING else.

I assume that I am overlooking something on my side like a iptables
entry but nothing is evident to me.
The documentation on Anaconda indicates that I have the 2 computers
setup correctly.

I know I am overlooking something but what?

Any help or pointers will be appreciated,

Thanks

David