Color aliasing. Was Re: Awk and sort (of text files)

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 03:50:40 UTC 2015

On 29 June 2015 at 21:51, Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:
[...]
> And, I object to the maintainers assuming that everybody wants color instead
> of making it an option.  (That is, putting the alias in .bashrc, possibly
> commented by default instead of hiding it in /etc/bashrc where most users
> would be afraid to make changes, and it gets overwritten with every update.)

The `ls` color alias comes from /etc/profile.d/colorls.sh; which is
marked as a config(noreplace) file in the rpm spec:
$ rpm -qc coreutils
/etc/DIR_COLORS
/etc/DIR_COLORS.256color
/etc/DIR_COLORS.lightbgcolor
/etc/profile.d/colorls.csh
/etc/profile.d/colorls.sh

which means that if you edit /etc/profile.d/colorls.sh your changes
will be preserved even after updating the coreutils package (the
/etc/profile.d/colorls.sh file from the new package will be installed
with an .rpmnew extension).

The same goes for grep.

--
Ahmad Samir