akmod Nvidia dependencies

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 12:59:53 UTC 2015

On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 07:37:59 -0500
Richard Shaw wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 7:25 AM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 13:19:47 +0100
> > Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> >
> > > So the problem is not with compilation, it's with dnf locking itself
> > > out.
> >
> > That's probably why yum runs the akmod compile in the background
> > rather than waiting on it because when it waited on it, the database
> > was locked :-).
> >

> Sorry guys, I've been out of town for work and other $FAMILY and $DAYJOB
> issues so I'm going to take a look. There's a couple of open bugs with
> akmods but I'm not 100% sure that the fixes mentioned address this
> particular issue so any help investigating and reporting success/failure is
> appreciated.

Here's a clue. I just booted my f22 partition and ran dnf update, which did
update the kernel and caused akmods to build a new nvidia driver. It worked
fine for me, it installed the nvidia driver with no problem, so perhaps it is
a timing issue and depends on how long various update activities take.

There is also stoopid packagekitd which seems to run at the most
inconvenient possible time to interfere with manual updates. I noticed it
started showing up in "top" right after I did the dnf update.