Toshiba support in the kernel.

stan stanl-fedorauser at vfemail.net
Tue Jun 30 13:30:49 UTC 2015

On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 21:33:01 -0600
Isaac Cortés González <w.isaac.cortes at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, as I'm not a hardcore developer or coder, I was wondering: Is the
> new support that it's dropped in the kernel for the Toshiba laptops
> build by default or I'd have to compile by myself from "scratch"?

I don't use a toshiba, but I compile custom kernels, and the default
configuration for the Fedora kernel in the latest version from koji,
4.2, has the following toshiba options set. Are these the
options you are talking about?

CONFIG_YENTA_TOSHIBA=y
CONFIG_PATA_TOSHIBA=m
CONFIG_MMC_TOSHIBA_PCI=m

Thanks for raising the question.  I'll be getting rid of them on my next
iteration, since they're just wasted bits for me.  :-)

That's the hard part of compiling a custom kernel; eliminating all the
irrelevant modules and functionality.  I've looked, and there doesn't
seem to be a program that scans the system, and only turns on hardware
modules for the system scanned.  I'm surprised, actually.  And I'm
thinking of hacking together something in python that uses lspci and
lsmod and /proc to turn off all the drivers I don't need in the .config
file.