Strange booting problem

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 21:47:48 UTC 2015

On 06/30/2015 02:28 PM, jd1008 wrote:
> I already explained to you
> 1. The disk is partitioned using fdisk.
> 2. I cleared the 446 bytes to nulls.
> 3. None of the partitions have a boot signature.

The boot signature is at bytes 511 and 512, and you indicated that it is
present:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2015-June/462295.html

Those bytes indicate to BIOS that the disk contains boot code.  I tested
wiping those bytes and verified that SeaBIOS, at least, will not attempt
to run the boot sector of a disk after they are wiped.

> You comment "bug" is not a word for "something I don't understand" or
> "something I don't like."
> is so totally irrelevant to what I have already reported wrt the drive
> at hand and the BIOS at hand.
> Such comments are sounding more and more like coming from an a*al
> attitude!!

Computers are just machines that execute instructions.  They don't
reason.  They don't make decisions.  Their design may not always be the
one you like, but that's not the same as being "buggy".

I'm trying to reasonably explain and demonstrate that you can predict
and control the computer's behavior, while you rant about Dell "f***ing
up."  I think your anger is unjustified, both toward your system's
vendor and toward me.  Maybe mellow out a little.