Strange booting problem

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 22:32:56 UTC 2015

Here is what happened after the 2 bytes at offset 511 and 512 were null'ed:

fdisk /dev/sdb

Welcome to fdisk (util-linux 2.24.2).
Changes will remain in memory only, until you decide to write them.
Be careful before using the write command.

Device does not contain a recognized partition table.

Created a new DOS disklabel with disk identifier 0x2c945747.

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/sdb: 1.8 TiB, 2000398933504 bytes, 3907029167 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x2c945747

So, you see, those 2 bytes must have also been encoded to contain
something about the partitions.

So, with this kind of change, it destroys the partition table.