Strange booting problem

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 23:02:43 UTC 2015

On 06/30/2015 03:41 PM, jd1008 wrote:
> So, it begs the question:

(that's not what "begs the question" means)

> Can I create a disk with msdos partitioning scheme,
> none of the partitions marked as bootable, and have bios
> quickly skip over it to the next device in the boot sequence?

So far it looks like the answer is "no" or "it depends on your BIOS."

Both SeaBIOS and your Dell BIOS, based on what we've seen, will attempt
to use the boot sector of a disk with a valid MBR, even when the boot
sector is all zeros.  That's consistent with all of the documentation I
can find.  It's possible that other BIOS might skip an all-zero boot
sector, but we don't have any documentation of which systems behave that
way.

However, also based on testing, it seems that if you used GPT for your
partitions, then BIOS would skip over the drive during the boot
process.  So, maybe that's a solution?  The only reasons I can think of
to use MBR are a) you have an operating system that can't read GPT and
b) you need to boot from the drive under BIOS.  I don't think either of
those apply to you.