Strange booting problem

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Jun 30 23:13:07 UTC 2015

Yet another possibility is to GPT partition the disk and then zero LBA
0 (the PMBR). Now to any MBR only utility, it will appear to be a
blank drive and hence dangerously unprotected. But, being lazy I won't
go look for this, I don't think the UEFI spec requires a PMBR on GPT
disks, it can just have GPT only structures. But the PMBR is what all
utilities use and will recreate if removed and the partition map is
altered. So you're probably better off just using LVM if Linux only.
If mixed platform, and you have to partition, then you have to change
the BIOS boot order. Use the one time boot order change menu when you
want to boot off an external, otherwise leave the first device as the
internal drive.

Chris Murphy