Fedora 20: After running yum update the Mate Terminal doesn't start anymore (SOLVED)

Jim Lewis jim at jklewis.com
Sun Mar 1 23:02:24 UTC 2015

>> On Thu, 2015-02-26 at 15:03 -1000, Jim Lewis wrote:
>>
>>> Can you point me to where one of these other terminals is? The only
>>> reason I can still use one or make more is because there were some
>>> already opened before I ran the update.
>>
>> Often, one can type "term" in a command line, and get a basic term,
>> instead of gnome-term, or mate-term, or the command name for some other
>> terminal type.  I don't seem to be able to do that at the moment, but I
>> have in the past.  Perhaps my MATE install on Fedora 20 didn't bother
>> installing extra ones.  Might be worth doing so, for future problem
>> solving.
>>

> Hi Tim,
>
>   Well, I'm still trying to figure out how I can run a command to get a
> command line from the command line when I don't have a command line.
> Yes, I spent all night coming up with that :).
>
>   Anyway, you gave me an idea when you mentioned "term". I had been
> fussing with the panel trying to create my own Mate terminal. In
> Properties, putting exactly what is in the real one resulted in the same
> behavior, a box opening on the bottom panel for about 6 seconds saying
> "Starting Mate...". But then no terminal. I then tried calling a script
> which exported DISPLAY, and then calling mate-terminal. No good (an
> strace showed that this was never going to work). I should probably add
> that output to my bug.
>
>   I had already installed xterm (starting with Fedora 21 you have to yum
> install everything now). I changed it to xterm, fully expecting it to
> fail just like these others. No, it didn't! I now have an xterm on the
> panel, and can make others. I might actually put this on all my systems
> (yeah, I really like command lines). So, a gold star for you!

   I should have thought about running strace on mate-terminal sooner. I
searched the net on this error message:

gabi1 ~ $ mate-terminal &
[1] 22600
gabi1 ~ $ Failed to forward arguments:
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.InvalidArgs: Type of message, '
type '(ayayayayay)'

[1]+  Exit 1                  mate-terminal

  and found quite a few hits. Seems a logout/login will fix it (or a
reboot of course).

  I had opened Bug 1196472 for this but that turned out to be an
incredible waste of time. It has been closed NOTABUG.

Jim Lewis