rsyslog

Will Yonker aragonx at dcsnow.com
Wed Mar 4 22:17:21 UTC 2015

>> Doesn't this depend on what version you install?  I think the
>> workstation
> version does not include rsyslog whereas
the server version does.

>> I too found it more
than a little concerning when I was trying to help
> troubleshoot
an issue on one of our admin's systems.  I logged in, did a
> less
/var/log/messages and got a "No such file or directory" error.
When
> you have been doing the same thing for over 20 years like I
have, it's
> very
> shocking, like one day you go home and
suddenly someone has moved your
> house and you have no idea where
it went to.

>> Is there really a good reason to
not use the messages file anymore?

> "I'm used to
something else" is not a valid technical complaint.  Not to

say that your *surprise* isn't valid, but you don't have to go through
all
> this work to get the information you are looking for.  It is
already in

And here I thought a troll was a mythical
creature?

<sigh>

Using your same logic "I
want to change something" also isn't a valid technical reason to do
it.  If we have been using the same process for years and it has been
working, there should be a _very_ good reason to change it.  Not just
because someone feels like it or wants to get on a message board and talk
about someone not having a valid technical complaint.

So the
question was valid.  Why change it if it isn't broken.  Whether
I'm open to trying something different or not is of no consequence.

Now to your point of "going through all this
work".  _That_ isn't valid.  Once you have done something
for so long, it becomes routine.  You don't think about it.  You
have a system problem, look in /var/log/messages.

Again, that
behavior can be changed but shouldn't be forced without a _very_ good
reason.  We want users and admins to learn how to do things on our
systems.  They can't do that if we keep changing them.
Especially if we don't have a _valid_ (read: very good) reason to do
so.  If we continue to be so cavalier with our changes, next year we
won't use journalctl at all but instead use pettiectlwizbang or something
else new and snazzy but really no more useful...

Finally, I
read through all of that troll speak and you still didn't answer my
question.  Isn't rsyslog installed on the server spin and why change
it on the workstation?  If you are going to be a troll, at least be a
helpful one.  ^.^

---
Will Y.

believed to be clean.