rsyslog

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Wed Mar 4 22:41:59 UTC 2015

On Mar 4, 2015 3:17 PM, "Will Yonker" <aragonx at dcsnow.com> wrote:

> >> Doesn't this depend on what version you install? I think the
> >> workstation
> > version does not include rsyslog whereas the server version does.
> >>
> >> I too found it more than a little concerning when I was trying to help
> > troubleshoot an issue on one of our admin's systems. I logged in, did a
> > less /var/log/messages and got a "No such file or directory" error. When
> > you have been doing the same thing for over 20 years like I have, it's
> > very
> > shocking, like one day you go home and suddenly someone has moved your
> > house and you have no idea where it went to.
> >>
> >> Is there really a good reason to not use the messages file anymore?
> >
> > "I'm used to something else" is not a valid technical complaint. Not to
> > say that your *surprise* isn't valid, but you don't have to go through
all
> > this work to get the information you are looking for. It is already in
>
> And here I thought a troll was a mythical creature?
>
> <sigh>
>
> Using your same logic "I want to change something" also isn't a valid
technical reason to do it.  If we have been using the same process for
years and it has been working, there should be a _very_ good reason to
change it.  Not just because someone feels like it or wants to get on a
message board and talk about someone not having a valid technical complaint.

> So the question was valid.  Why change it if it isn't broken.  Whether
I'm open to trying something different or not is of no consequence.

> Now to your point of "going through all this work".  _That_ isn't valid.
Once you have done something for so long, it becomes routine.  You don't
think about it.  You have a system problem, look in /var/log/messages.

> Again, that behavior can be changed but shouldn't be forced without a
_very_ good reason.  We want users and admins to learn how to do things on
our systems.  They can't do that if we keep changing them.  Especially if
we don't have a _valid_ (read: very good) reason to do so.  If we continue
to be so cavalier with our changes, next year we won't use journalctl at
all but instead use pettiectlwizbang or something else new and snazzy but
really no more useful...

> Finally, I read through all of that troll speak and you still didn't
answer my question.  Isn't rsyslog installed on the server spin and why
change it on the workstation?  If you are going to be a troll, at least be
a helpful one.  ^.^

> ---
> Will Y.
> --

I demonstrated several simple and practical commands that have real-life
use cases, where similar filtering would not be as simple or direct with
bare rsyslog.  The addition of journald was not arbitrary, and I was
offering genuinely helpful advice, not trolling.

If my tone at the beginning suggested otherwise, it was because I've seen
threads like this turn into "I like the old thing fine so Fedora should not
use the new thing" many, many times.  The discussion is never productive
and rarely based on any technical technical argument .

As to your question, there are probably answers in various mailing list
archives.  Fedora editions that wanted to have rsyslog do, others do not.
Consensus on the user support mailing list is not a prerequisite for
change.  If you want to participate in an effective and useful way, I'm
happy to help you find that path, but please don't lessen the value of this
list with opinion rants and overtly negative attitudes.

--Pete