rsyslog

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 00:50:11 UTC 2015

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 5:20 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Mar 2015 15:53:15 Tom H wrote:
>>
>> The reason that you have to make these changes to rsyslog.conf and
>> journal.conf is that rsyslog is set up to get journal logs by default
>> via its imjournal module. So your changes aren't necessary; unless
>> there's a bug.
>
> Depends on which release. Certainly Fedora 21 has done away
> with rsyslog completely and everything is journald, you really
> do need to do all those to make rsyslog work again (and it has
> the excellent side effect of completely turning off all the
> binary journal files, basically just using journald as a
> proxy to forward everything to rsyslog).

I just did a clean install of F21 with rsyslog and it's logging to
"/var/log/messages" and co without any edits.

I was about to press "Send" and remembered some earlier testing that
I'd done. If you set "Storage=none" in "/etc/systemd/journald.conf",
the imjournal module cannot do its job. You need at least
"Storage=volatile" for it to work.