rsyslog

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Mar 5 01:15:47 UTC 2015

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 6:05 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Mar 2015 19:50:11 -0500
> Tom H wrote:
>
>> I just did a clean install of F21 with rsyslog and it's logging to
>> "/var/log/messages" and co without any edits.
>
> I get about 1/10th of the log messages in /var/log/messages
> with a "standard" install, there is something there, but nothing
> like all the messages that normally show up (like all the
> stupid systemd login/logout messages for cron jobs running
> every 5 minutes).

/var/log/cron
/var/log/secure
/var/log/maillog

cat /etc/rsyslog.conf
By default it has filters that puts different things into different
logs. So far I'm not finding anything missing that it's the journal
that's not in one of these log files. systemd-journald gets everything
and passes everything it gets to rsyslog via a socket; so if an
rsyslog log doesn't have what you're looking for, but it is in the
journal, then rsyslog is filtering it. journald doesn't filter
anything.

--
Chris Murphy