Different behaviour running under strace?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 21:52:23 UTC 2015

On Fri, 6 Mar 2015 08:27:03 +1100
Cameron Simpson wrote:

>   - _after_ a fast straced df, is un unstraced df slow again?
>     (thinking about cached answers to call, caches in the OS, possibly quite
>     briefly)

I was yesterday, but today the strace'ed version hung as well and I
was able to find and unmount some slow filesystems.

I don't know why "df -l" even stat()s an NFS mountpoint at all, it
could certainly look at /proc/mounts and find the local only
filesystems and utterly ignore the network systems, but
it apparently doesn't do that (because I certainly see the stat
calls when I strace it).

Judging from the strace it gathers all the info first, then
formats it for output, so when it hangs, it prints nothing.