rsyslog

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Fri Mar 6 15:28:38 UTC 2015

On Mar 6, 2015 8:09 AM, "Tim" <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> On Wed, 2015-03-04 at 12:04 -0700, Pete Travis wrote:
> > If you're open to typing a different command to access logs, here are
> > a few you might find interesting:
>
> Only the other day, I wanted to see what the NTP client, or whatever it
> is called now, was up to.  I couldn't find an easy way to do what would
> have been grep -i ntp /var/log/message.  Sure, I could do that on the
> output of journalctl, but it takes ages to pour through the amount of
> data it's kept.
>
> No, the man page wasn't particularly enlightening.
>
> --

The default ntp client since Fedora 16 is chrony, the chronyd service.  a
`journalctl -b|grep ntp ` would probably match some chrony activity, and
once you learn from that or documentation what the service is actually
called, you can do `journalctl -u chronyd -otherfilters`.
Also, just like with less or vim, you can press '/' in parsed log output
then type a string to search for.

No, the journalctl man page does not tell you about ntp logs, nor do the
rsyslog pages explain grep :)

--Pete