Unable to blank dvd/rw media

Ronal B Morse ron at morsehouse.com
Sat Mar 7 04:59:55 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-03-06 at 19:18 -0700, jd1008 wrote:
> I have an optiarch CD/DVD/RW drive  and Sony RW media.
>
> I tried to blank the media:
> [snip]
> Starting to write CD/DVD/BD at speed 8 in real BLANK mode for single
> session.
> Last chance to quit, starting real write    0 seconds. Operation starts.
> This drive or media does not support the 'BLANK media' command
> cdrecord: Cannot blank disk, aborting.
>

> So, is the RW label on the Sony Media box lying?

I don't think it's lying, it's just that Sony isn't particularly known
for high quality optical media.  Check the country of origin. If it's
India, Malaysia or China the problem is probably the media, particularly
if it's been sitting around for awhile.  If it was made in Japan or
Taiwan, however, I'd continue troubleshooting.