MATE on dual screen, put a panel on secondary screen?

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sat Mar 7 16:25:47 UTC 2015

On Sat, Mar 07, 2015 at 10:27:36AM -0500, Tom Killian wrote:
>    > Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2015 19:06:42 -0500
>    > From: Fred Smith <[1]fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
>    > To: [2]users at lists.fedoraproject.org
>    > Subject:
>    >
>    > hi all!
>    >
>    > Experimenting with dual screens on F20 using MATE. Video card is
>    Nvidia 9800GT
>    > using Nvidia drivers from rpmfusion:
>    >
>    >Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â  kmod-nvidia.x86_64 1:331.113-1.fc20.5Â
>    @rpmfusion-nonfree-updates
>    >
>    > So, I've got it configured, using the nvidia X-Server Settings tool
>    and it
>    > works nicely sofar.
>    >
>    > But I'd kinda like trying it with a set of panels on the second
>    screen much
>    > like (if not identical to) those on the main screen.
>    >
>    > But so far I've not figured out how to add a panel to the second
>    screen.
>    > The context menu (right-click on a panel) for "new panel" offers no
>    options,
>    > it just sticks it on the first screen. I can't drag it, it just seems
>    > want to sit there.
>    >
>    > Can someone advise me if thereis a way to do what I want? some arcane
>    > incantation on the commandline, perhaps?
>    >
>    > thanks!
>    > --
>    > ---- Fred Smith -- [4]fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
>    -----------------------------
>    >Â Â  "And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
>    Everlasting Father,
>    >Â Â  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be
>    no end. He
>    >Â  will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and
>    upholding
>    >Â Â Â Â Â Â  it with justice and righteousness from that time on and
>    forever."
>    > ------------------------------- Isaiah 9:7 (niv)
>    ------------------------------
>    The (non-intuitive) solution is to make a new panel on the first
>    screen, then use alt-click to drag it to the second screen where you
>    can set its orientation and content to taste.  If someone knows how to
>    script this, that would be nice.

Yeah, I did figure out how to drag a panel across to the other display
(uncheck the expand box in the panel properties then you can drag it).

I also found out that if you're careful about how you configure the
Nvidia Settings, it will treat the two screens as separate displays,
and Mate will automatically populate the second screen with panels.

Unfortunately, with either technique, the panels on the second screen
appear with nothing on them. I suppose it's possible to figure out how
to put menus on the seconday panels so that they look like the ones on
the main screen, but so far I haven't found the right incantation for
doing that.

I did stumble across an XML file that may be the place to tweak, if I
can't find a GUI for it, but right now I forget where it was. I suppose
I could find it again, with some digging

Fred

 .----    Fred Smith   /
 /    /  /   /__) /  /  /__) .+'           Home: fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us