GNOME Boxes resizing the disk

Frederic Muller fred at cm17.com
Sat Mar 7 18:54:07 UTC 2015

On 03/08/2015 01:28 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> qemu-img, virt-resize, and guestfish. It depends on whether you're
> shrinking or growing which you use and in what order. All of it can be
> done from the host using qemu-img and guestfish, without the VM being
> online. And guestfish can resize (well, delete then add) MBR and GPT
> partitions, resize LVs, and at least the three major filesystems. For
> sure the VM needs to be off when using guestfish.
>
> Of course, you could boot the VM from some other image, and use the
> tools you're familiar with from inside the VM. For growing, it's
> possible to do this online even without booting from some other image,
> but it'll take one early reboot after changing the last partition
> size, or adding another partition, to capture the extra space from
> qemu-img resize.
>

> Chris Murphy

Hi!

So I actually chose the smallest/defaut size and that was a mistake. Now
I need to increase the size which I did through the GUI, but of course
the OS (GNU/Linux) doesn't see it. I do not want to delete the disk and
make a bigger one as I don't want to reinstall. I think the fs type is
ext4 but I went through automatic install and didn't pay attention...

I couldn't find out how to reboot for the iso file an already installed VM.

Thank you if you could tell me more.

Fred