Unable to blank dvd/rw media

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Sun Mar 8 03:18:51 UTC 2015

On 03/07/15 22:15, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 03/07/15 19:52, Klaus-Peter Schrage wrote:
>> Am 07.03.2015 um 03:18 schrieb jd1008:
>>> This drive or media does not support the 'BLANK media' command
>>> cdrecord: Cannot blank disk, aborting.
>> These lines say it all, see the BLANK command applies to CDs, not to DVD-rw's ("cdrecord --help").
>> Usually you *format* these media once, then, unlike CDs, you simply overwrite them.
>>
> I hardly use optical media these days.  But I happen to find an old Philips DVD+RW disk in a drawer.  I used the cdrecord -v blank=all command on it and it worked just fine.  I didn't save the output it created but there was a HINT telling me I really should be using the dvd+rw-format command.

I err'd when I wrote the above as I actually found 2 DVD's in the drawer and the one I used was an off-brand from "Melody Group" here in Taiwan and blanking worked.

The Philips brand DVD+RW does *not* support the "blank" option when using the dvd+rw-format tool...

[egreshko at meimei ~]$ dvd+rw-format -blank=full /dev/sr0
* BD/DVD±RW/-RAM format utility by <appro at fy.chalmers.se>, version 7.1.
* 4.7GB DVD+RW media detected.
- illegal command-line option for this media.
- you have the option to re-run dvd+rw-format with:
  -lead-out  to elicit lead-out relocation for better
             DVD-ROM compatibility, data is not affected;
  -force     to enforce new format (not recommended)
             and wipe the data.

But, if using cdrecord -v blank=all it will proceed....but I killed it before it started to wipe the disk since I found I wanted to keep the movie that was on it.  :-) :-)