[ F21 ] How to remove GNOME

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 20:00:34 UTC 2015

On Sat, Mar 07, 2015 at 06:32:22PM -0300, Martin Cigorraga wrote:

> I'm a newcomer to Fedora and still learning its ways so excuse me if my
> question sounds stupid.
> Now, I want to remove GNOME from my install as I use i3; from what I saw
> there's no gnome-group or similar goup available, how should I proceed?

I don't know why no one else has mentioned this already.  In my opinion
it is much easier to install a minimal set, and then build your desktop
as needed rather than install the default, and get rid of Gnome.

I'm an XFCE user (with lightdm as login manager), and everytime I did a
fresh install, I used the minimal image.  You can even do a network
install.  During that I simply select the gui packages I need (some
subset of XFCE for me).  This way I have a very small set of gnome
packages.

  $ rpm -qa gnome\* | wc -l
  18

I know 18 is not a very accurate count, but it is more or less there.
Since you are using i3, I bet you can get the list to be even shorter!
Often people say disk space is cheap, why bother?  I have a tiny 20 gig
/ on my laptop, so it does matter to me.  On my desktop, I don't care.

Hope this helps,

--
Suvayu