pidgin video chat

Amadeus W.M. amadeus84 at verizon.net
Mon Mar 9 04:55:41 UTC 2015

Does anyone know how to do video chat in pidgin? I can't figure it out
for the life of me. I click on a contact name and the chat window opens.
Then, under Conversation -> Media I have 3 options: Audio call / Video
call / Audio and video call. But all are inactive (grayed out) and so
they can't be selected. Does this mean that pidgin has been compiled in
Fedora without audio/video support?

I am, however able to configure the Voice/Video Settings by going to
Tools -> Plugins -> Voice/Video Settings, then click on the "Configure
Plugin" button. So pidgin does see my camera and microphone. But what
else do I need to be able to actually use them?

I've searched the web for this, of course, and I couldn't find a
definitive answer. All information is outdated, or for other
distributions, or simply vague. For instance:

https://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/vv

or the user guide (which is really a FAQ):

https://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/Using%20Pidgin

Do I need to recompile pidgin with some non-free codecs enabled?

Thanks for any help!