camera troubles

Amadeus WM amadeus84 at verizon.net
Mon Mar 9 23:36:22 UTC 2015

Ok, so I'm moving on from pidgin, to skype.

I found how to install skype here:

http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2012/install-skype-on-fedora-centos-
red-hat-rhel-scientific-linux-sl/

It works. Except for my old Logitech QuickCam Messenger camera. But I
found this excellent hack that shows how to get it to work:

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/219

which basically says that skype expects the v4l1 libraries, not the
default v4l2 so one needs to preload the v4l1compat.so library - the 32
bit version, to match skype.

For my 64-bit Fedora this would be:

#!/bin/bash
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usr/bin/skype

So I did that, but I'm getting this error:

ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so' from LD_PRELOAD
cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.

Lo and behold though, the camera works despite that error. So for my
peace of mind, can anybody explain what's going on?