Raid vs rsync -

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 11:27:22 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-03-10 at 10:27 +0100, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 09, 2015 at 08:23:23PM -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> >
> > rsync is easier to set up when you have existing data, and I do have a few
> > laptops where I have a daily job to rsync their data onto a different
> > server.
>
> I would recommend rsnapshot.  It makes setting up an rsync & cron based
> incremental backup system very easy.  The only downside is recovery is a
> rather manual process.  For a more full-blown solution with rsync,
> BackupPC might be interesting to the OP.

+1

rsnapshot is simple and very effective, once you understand that it's
meant to be run on the server rather than the client (the docs aren't
sufficiently explicit about this and as it will also work the other way
you can find yourself with a correct but very slow backup process if you
don't pick up on it).

poc