Raid vs rsync -

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 16:29:50 UTC 2015

On 03/09/2015 11:04 AM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> However I have been wondering if it wouldn't work just as well to
> periodically rsync the drive in use with a second drive?

I know I'm going to repeat some of what has already been said.  My 2c
anyway:

No, rsync would not work just as well.

Do you want your system to continue functioning when one of your drives
fails? If so, then set up RAID1 and make sure you actually get and read
email from cron jobs.  In the event of failure, the mdmonitor service
will send email to "root" to indicate that a drive needs to be replaced.
  The down side is that your data will have no backups.  If a file is
accidentally deleted or corrupted, you probably have no recourse.

Do you, instead, want multiple levels of online backups?  In that case,
there are a handful of backup applications, including rsnapshot, that
handle rotation and rsync to provide efficient backups.  If your primary
drive fails, you'll deal with the outage while you get a replacement
drive, format it, install a system, restore your data, etc, which could
be a fairly long process.  Instead, you'll gain very coarse file
versions and protection from accidental deletions.

> Am I going wrong somewhere in my thinking?

Thinking that you have to make a choice between the two may be in error.
  Depending on the size of your disks and the amount of data on them,
you could potentially have both RAID1 and backups.

Build a system with a RAID1 mirror on the two drives that uses half of
the available space for your system, and half of the space for a
separate backup filesystem.  Keeping the backup filesystem separate
provides some additional protection against filesystem corruption.  It's
still possible for some errors to destroy both your system and its
backups, but in most cases, you'll get good coverage for the most common
failures with this setup.