Raid vs rsync -

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 19:43:12 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 09:29:50AM -0700, Gordon Messmer wrote:

> Build a system with a RAID1 mirror on the two drives that uses half of the
> available space for your system, and half of the space for a separate backup
> filesystem.  Keeping the backup filesystem separate provides some additional
> protection against filesystem corruption.  It's still possible for some
> errors to destroy both your system and its backups, but in most cases,
> you'll get good coverage for the most common failures with this setup.

In my encouter with data corruption in the past, it has usually been
entire drive failures rather than one particular filesystem failing on
me, and the other keeps functioning.

I would always encourage separate physical disks as backup partitions.
If the OP has flaky power, maybe having them offline when not in use,
would also be a good idea.

just my 2ยข,

--
Suvayu