Raid vs rsync -

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Mar 10 20:55:22 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 1:24 PM, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> wrote:
> Well as I said earlier, I mainly want to have files that I consider critical
> backed up somewhere.

I'd say all data needs at least one backup. Critical stuff should also
be off-site in addition to the local backups. If you won't or can't do
an off-site backup, well maybe it isn't really critical, but then you
need at least two local backups.

Because of the high time penalty for cloud backup service restore, you
may want a 2nd local backup anyway, just in case.

> I'm not very much concerned about equipment failure and
> downtime.

Discounting downtime is OK. Discounting equipment failure probably isn't.

You need to understand what the consequences are if any two individual
pieces of equipment fail at the same time, and mitigate that somehow.
e.g. Crashplan explicitly supports Linux, Backblaze explicitly does
not.

Amazon Glacier is fairly inexpensive and equivalent or better to the
reliability of tape and cheaper for most cases; a small percentage of
retrieval per month is free, but if you go over that (i.e. a full
blown recovery is needed rather than just an accidentally deleted or
corrupted file) it can be expensive. There are 3rd  party calculators
for computing this, it's not exactly obvious what things will cost
just based on their rather convoluted pricing page.

--
Chris Murphy