Problem upgrading VLC

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 13:48:01 UTC 2015

On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 08:18:11 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> On 03/11/2015 07:04 AM, Pál, László wrote:
> > For me the following solved painlessly
> >
> > yum --enablerepo updates-testing update vlc
> >
> > L:
> >

> I do not want to add a testing repo to my stable install...

But that is exactly what has happened. The vlc update has been
built against a libgpg-error from updates-testing. If you want that
vlc update, it depends on stuff that's still in updates-testing.
RPM Fusion always builds against updates-testing, because they
don't use a separate build target for Test Updates.

Btw, more Fedora Users ought to be less afraid of updates-testing.
Most packages in there become stable updates anyway. You can
give feedback in the Fedora Updates System and influence what would
be marked stable _without_ any prior testing. Plus, with commands
like yum distro-sync, yum downgrade, and yum history it has become
much easier to revert the odd update that introduces a bug.