How to increase maximum user cpu usage allowed on a multi core system?

Kevin Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Wed Mar 11 19:14:39 UTC 2015

On 03/11/2015 11:49 AM, stan wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 11:34:25 +0100
> Heinz Diehl <htd+ml at fritha.org> wrote:
>> It's the limiting to one process which causes what you observe. 1
>> process can not get more resources that 100%. The CPU scheduler
>> handles how they are distributed.
>
> I think this is the key.  What is the point of -j6 or -j8 if the make
> can't spawn additional processes with their own limits, and thus take
> advantage of more resources that are available?  What is it that limits
> a process and its children from using more resources than a single core,
> even though they are available?

We're thinking in terms of one machine with multiple cores here.  What
about an environment with multiple machines (each possibly with multiple
cores).  Now you have *many* more possibilities of where to run compiles
with -j.  Consider (for example) distcc.  It can be configured to run
build components on different machines (configurable per machine as to
how many).  So now, the -j 10 or -j 20 has more possibilities for
distributing the load during the "make".

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at verizon.net
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net