F21 - perl broken? 5.16 vs. 5.18 API problem.

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Mar 12 15:43:58 UTC 2015

On 03/12/2015 04:22 PM, Martin Møller Skarbiniks Pedersen wrote:
> Hi,
>    I am trying to build a rpm but now I got a perl  problem ?
>    It looks like my perl installation is somehow broken currently.

> $ perl --version
>
> This is perl 5, version 18, subversion 4 (v5.18.4) built for
> x86_64-linux-thread-multi
> (with 23 registered patches, see perl -V for more detail)
> [...]
>
> $ perl -MCPAN -e shell
> Attempt to reload Scalar/Util.pm aborted.
> Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/share/perl5/Safe.pm line 4.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/share/perl5/Safe.pm line 4.

This error message indicates you to be mixing non-rpm-installed
perl-dists (/usr/local/share/perl5) with rpm-installed perl-dists.

Likely, your non-rpm-installed perl-modules/dists originate from an
older install (likely you upgraded Fedora) and are incompatible with
Fedora's perl.

To avoid such surprises, my advise would be not to use any
non-rpm-installed perl-dists.

If you cannot avoid them, you'd first have to remove all perl-modules
under /usr/local and to rebuild/reinstall all of them.

Ralf