F21 - skype -- How best to install

Jim Lewis jim at jklewis.com
Thu Mar 12 21:16:52 UTC 2015

> I have been puzzling through some old posts here on skype.  I need it
> working for a conference call monday morning.
>
> Subject: No sound in Skype on Fedora 64-bit
>
> Seems to be talking about installing lpf-skype even on an x86_64 system
> and it basically works?  Some sound problems but work around them?
>
> Or:
>
> http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2012/install-skype-on-fedora-centos-red-hat-rhel-scientific-linux-sl/
>
> I can always run it on my samsung phone, but want to use it on my
> notebook.

Hi Robert,

  I was able to get Skype working on both of my Fedora 21 systems by
following these steps:

  The "rules" say to perform a full update first. Usually when I do this
something breaks and so do so at your own risk.

 yum -y update

Install Skype and the 32-bit pulseaudio files:

 yum -y install lpf-skype

 Here is the part that should fix your sound issues:

 yum -y install pulseaudio-libs.i686 alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.i686

 Then:

  Open Applications->System Tools->lpf skype

    Give root and then guest password

 To run Skype: Open Applications->Internet->Skype

  I hope this works for you! I have to say they did a good job when they
created this application.

Jim Lewis