How to increase maximum user cpu usage allowed on a multi core system?

stan stanl-fedorauser at vfemail.net
Thu Mar 12 21:29:49 UTC 2015

On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 16:36:43 +0000
Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:

> Since I can't reproduce this problem I'm not sure what's causing it.
> If you really are finding make subprocesses limited to 100% cpu across
> the lot then maybe have a look to see if there are any cgroups limits
> active
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Resource_Management_Guide/ch01.html
> may also be worth running on the stock fedora kernel to test that
> it's not something that you've turned on in your custom kernel.

I looked in the kernel documentation, and it seems that in order to be
limited by cgroups, the application has to create a cgroup and attach
to it.  The cgroups are in a virtual file system under /sys/fs.  They
can be seen by
cat /etc/mtab
The one of interest in the case of compiling is the cpu,cpuset.  The
kernel makefiles don't create or attach to a cgroup, so that would seem
to eliminate it as a consideration.

There is also a systemd target for cgroups, but it is supposed to be
only for services, which compiling wouldn't be.

And, there is also a selinux target for cgroups, but it doesn't seem to
apply here.

So, cgroups seem like another dead end.