sector hard errors

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Mar 12 21:58:43 UTC 2015

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 3:37 PM, jd1008 <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/12/2015 03:28 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>
>> smarctl -l scterc /dev/sdb
>
> #  smartctl -l scterc /dev/sdb
> smartctl 6.2 2014-07-16 r3952 [x86_64-linux-3.18.8-201.fc21.x86_64] (local
> build)
> Copyright (C) 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org
>
> SCT Error Recovery Control command not supported

Ok so it's a drive not designed for fast recoveries, which is fine.
I've seen some people use the NAS drives as standalone drives thinking
they're better. But they have fast error recoveries, so they pop a
read error within ~7 seconds expecting RAID to recover the data from a
mirror or rebuild from parity. So if you had such a drive there's a
way to increase that timer and maybe recover the data on that sector.

Anyway, seeing as this happens on an fsck, that means filesystem
metadata is affected and if e2fsck -f doesn't fix it then, the fs is
toast. I honestly would just immediately remount it ro, and back it up
though before forcing an fsck. An fsck ought to fail gracefully and
not make things worse, but...

--
Chris Murphy