sector hard errors

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 01:45:11 UTC 2015

Unless you have the drive under raid that means that 15 sectors cannot
be read and you have lost at least some data.

The drives normally will not move sectors that it cannot successfully read.

You may be able to copy the data off the disk, but you may when trying
this find a lot more bad sectors that the 15 that are currently
pending so may find your lost more data than 15 bad sectors would
indicate.

If under mdadm raid then the raid sees the bad sector error and will
reconstruct and write the data back causing the disk to move it.

For the future my only suggestion is either to use raid and/or force
the reading of the disk at least weekly so that the disk will detect
"weak" sectors and either rewrite them or move them as needed.   On
all of my critical disks I read and/or smartctl -t long all disks at
least weekly.   From playing with a disk that is going bad it appears
that doing the -t long daily might keep ahead of sectors going bad,
but that means that the test runs the disk (though it can be accessed
for normal usage) for several hours a day each day.