Is SMART really that dumb?

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 22:40:27 UTC 2015

That would imply the disk itself found the errors on one of its scans.

You could do a "dd if=/dev/sdx of=/dev/null conv=noerror bs=1M" that
should mean the dd will continue on when it hits the error and you will get
the list of bad sectors in the messages file.   You would have to use
fsdebugger or something similar to find the specific stuff in that sector.