Is SMART really that dumb?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 23:56:11 UTC 2015

On Sat, 14 Mar 2015 16:42:37 -0600
Chris Murphy wrote:

> If there's a definite latent sector error, this shows up with a
> 'smarctl -t long' which will be aborted at the first error found. The
> LBA for this shows up under LBA_of_first_error.

I actually ran one of those when I first started seeing the
messages (I've got another going now), and the prev test results were:

# 2  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     17259         -

So that lonely '-' out there apparently says there is no
LBA with an error, the overall health assessment says PASSED,
yet these have been showing up every half our or so for a week
now:

Mar 14 19:46:52 zooty smartd[812]: Device: /dev/sdc [SAT], 8 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
Mar 14 19:46:52 zooty smartd[812]: Device: /dev/sdc [SAT], 8 Offline uncorrectable sectors

It seems to be telling me there is nothing wrong and something
wrong at the same time. I'd probably just be happy with
the "PASSED" health check if it wasn't constantly
spewing these messages :-).