Is SMART really that dumb?

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sun Mar 15 04:16:17 UTC 2015

On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 7:56 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> wrote:

> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7pVI_DKcKbySURleHpJSXdpZWs/view?usp=sharing

Sector Sizes: 512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical

It's a 512e AF drive. Whether using dd or badblocks to do this, the
block size needs to be 4096 (bytes) to write to the full physical
sector. dd defaults to 512 bytes, and badblocks to 1024 bytes, neither
of which will work correctly on this drive.

>198 Offline_Uncorrectable ----C- 100 100 000 - 8

Weird. Because of this, I'd expect an extended offline test to fail
and report the first affected LBA. Thanks SMART.

> There isn't anything vitally important on this drive,
> but I have lots of space on my new USB3 backup drive
> so I'm doing an rsync of the stuff it would be
> inconvenient to lose now (maybe that will trigger
> an I/O error somewhere).

If nothing is triggered with the backup, try a non-destructive
badblocks or dd read of the drive. Any error reported by either of
those that's not triggered by the backup is probably safe to just
write over. Just make sure to get the block conversion right.

--
Chris Murphy