Is SMART really that dumb?

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon Mar 16 00:46:01 UTC 2015

On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 6:24 PM, Ian Pilcher <arequipeno at gmail.com> wrote:

> (Or it may the the drugs.)

My Samsung 840 EVO is on drugs.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 1
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE
UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   010    Pre-fail
Always       -       0
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   099   099   000    Old_age
Always       -       1801

[...snip...]

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining
LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Short offline       Completed without error       00%         6         -
# 2  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%         5         -
# 3  Short offline       Completed without error       00%        19         -
# 4  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%        11         -
# 5  Short offline       Completed without error       00%         0         -

Yes, that's right, it's most recent extended and short offline tests
(last night) consider the drive to be 5 and 6 hours, lifetime, in age.
Yet power on hours is 1800+. That's funny. If I could lie about my
lifetime age on every test, that would be awesome. How old are you?
Today, hmm, I'm feeling 6 years old, that work for you? No? OK 19?
That's age of majority at least. Oh you don't like that either, OK
fine back to 6 then.

--
Chris Murphy