F21 - SSH slow at some things

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Wed Mar 18 00:38:44 UTC 2015

> This is really a problem that I have had since I installed F21.  It was
> a clean install, not an update.
>
> Anyway, when I connect to various servers that are setup for user/paswd
> login, it is a while before I see the password prompt.
>
> After working on the system for a while, the session is suddenly
> unresponsive.  I can ping the destination, but nothing in the ssh
> session.  Usually after some time (more than a minute) the session
> resumes responding.
>
> If I leave a session connected and move away from it, eventually I get a
> "Write failed: Broken pipe"
>
> All the systems I am connecting to are on other networks, so I am going
> through a firewall that permits my ssh connections.
>
> Any hints where to look?  Wireshark is not showing me anything, but I
> may just be using the wrong filters.

In my experience, a slow ssh password prompt is due to DNS lookup
issues--particularly reverse DNS (ipaddr-to-hostname) lookups. If the
remote machine is having trouble doing a reverse DNS lookup on your
client IP, then you just have to wait for the DNS to time out before you
get the password prompt.

As to why it slows down, could be any number of other things. Are you
on a VPN? Are you getting your IP via a DHCP server? Are you on a
broadband connection?