Crashes of tainted kernels

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Wed Mar 18 04:42:14 UTC 2015

On 03/17/2015 08:22 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> 2. how to provide useful debugging info - if the user will not test a
> non-tainted kernel I see no possible way for an automated system to
> know where to file the bug

You are assuming that it's practical (or even possible) to run without a
tainted kernel.  Most people who use kmod-nvidia do so because they need
better graphics than they can get from nouveau.  Asking them to do
without the OEM drivers (which taint the kernel) may make it difficult
if not impossible to get their work done, and it's not always easy.
And, in the case of my laptop, I don't even know, as yet, why it's
tainted because there's no hardware involved that wasn't installed at
the factory.  Even if I knew what caused the taint, how am I supposed to
remove it?  Yes, in theory it should be possible on every computer, but
I, at least live in reality, not theory.