How to increase maximum user cpu usage allowed on a multi core system?

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 22:43:57 UTC 2015

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 1:22 PM, Heinz Diehl <htd+ml at fritha.org> wrote:
> On 18.03.2015, stan wrote:
>
>> An afterthought. I notice that you are compiling the kernel as root. I
>> do my build in the rpmbuild system as a user, so the compile is run as a
>> user. Do you think that would matter?
>
> For the kernel to get properly installed, you have to be root. Precisely, there
> is nothing wrong with compiling the kernel as user, but "make modules_install"
> and "make install" have to be performed as root.

If I don't create an rpm, I run:

CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=$(getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN) make
sudo INSTALL_MOD_STRIP=1 make modules_install
sudo cp arch/x86/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-$(make kernelversion)
sudo cp System.map /boot/System.map-$(make kernelversion)
sudo cp .config /boot/config-$(make kernelversion)

You don't need to run "make" as root.