F21: Gnome doesn't work on i686 Dell Laptop

Max Pyziur pyz at brama.com
Wed Mar 18 23:17:08 UTC 2015

Greetings,

Recently, I "fresh installed" F21 on a Dell i686 Inspiron Laptop.

I had been running F18 on it, and just wanted to jump to the newest
release w/o stepping through F19 and F20. I kept the /home partition, and
wiped everything else out.

Xfce and Mate Desktops start and are very functional.

Any variant of Gnome (new version and Classic) reports an equivalent
screen-of-death with the message reading "A problem has occurred, and the
system can't recover."

The /var/log/messages file is very extensive; it begins with:
Mar 18 19:06:49 MercToo systemd-logind: New session 14 of user pyz.
Mar 18 19:06:50 MercToo org.a11y.Bus: g_dbus_connection_real_closed:
Remote peer vanished with error: Underlying GIOStream returned 0 bytes on
an async read (g-io-error-quark, 0). Exiting.
Mar 18 19:06:50 MercToo org.a11y.atspi.Registry:
g_dbus_connection_real_closed: Remote peer vanished with error: Underlying
GIOStream returned 0 bytes on an async read (g-io-error-quark, 0).
Exiting.
Mar 18 19:06:50 MercToo gdm: Child process 1024 was already dead.
Mar 18 19:06:50 MercToo gdm: Unable to kill session worker process
Mar 18 19:06:50 MercToo org.gtk.vfs.Daemon: A connection to the bus can't
be made
Mar 18 19:06:50 MercToo org.gtk.vfs.Daemon: g_dbus_connection_real_closed:
Remote peer vanished with error: Underlying GIOStream returned 0 bytes on
an async read (g-io-error-quark, 0). Exiting.
Mar 18 19:06:50 MercToo ca.desrt.dconf: g_dbus_connection_real_closed:
Remote peer vanished with error: Underlying GIOStream returned 0 bytes on
an async read (g-io-error-quark, 0). Exiting.
Mar 18 19:06:50 MercToo gnome-session: ** (gnome-settings-daemon:1136):
WARNING **: Name taken or bus went away - shutting down

and goes on like that.

I've done various "yum groupinstalls" hoping to get all of the various
missing dependencies and missing libraries. Obviously, I'm missing
something.

I noticed that someone (on a similar Gnome problem) said to check for a
list of services using systemctl to see if they are enabled; I did that,
and everything seems to be correctly enabled.

Is this problem resolvable on an i686 system? I'd like to resolve this
first, before upgrading my x86_64-based machines.

I have no loyalties to Gnome; I'd just like to function close to their
intended design. And take it as a sign of possible other problems in the
even that they don't.

Max Pyziur
pyz at brama.com