Strane UUID problem

Heinz Diehl htd+ml at fritha.org
Sat Mar 21 05:59:53 UTC 2015

On 20.03.2015, Chris Murphy wrote:

> If /dev/sda uses MBR, it doesn't really have a UUID, it might have a
> serial number.

It's MBR, and it didn't have a UUID before.

> I think think needs more troubleshooting, rather
> than bringing out the hammer before the problem is identified.
> Feel free to post the results from fstab, and blkid.

I'm nearly done with debugging, and are 99% sure it's a systemd problem.
What happens is that when /home is nilfs2 formatted, systemd sees the identical
UUID assigned to /dev/sda, and the systemd service fails to mount /home because
it tries to mount /dev/sda rather than the correct partition /dev/sdaX.

Reformatting with either ext4 or xfs solves the problem immediately.
Btw: lsblk -f shows the faulty UUID assigned to /dev/sda, while blkid does not.