fedora 21 -- 2 different gpu --bmc/ipmi ASPEED -- Nvidia GTX760-- how to select primary

Kevin Abbey kevin.abbey at rutgers.edu
Sat Mar 21 14:26:25 UTC 2015

Hi,

I have a Supermicro X10SRA-F  (with IPMI bmc with iKVM) and Nvidia gpu
which is booting ok but after grub the local display is blank.

I loaded the optimized settings in the bios, then edited in bios:

1.   IO --> PCIe/PCI/Pnp --> make sure ASPM Support is disabled,
2.   set VGA priority PCI-E slot that you have the video card connected to.
3.   Save the changes and reboot.

When I boot a fedora live dvd the video works.  It worked a few times
initially when I boot the ssd disk with the fedora installation.  Now it
gets to grub, boots kernel and then nothing but a blank screen, yet the
screen does not go to sleep.   It appears to still have a signal in fact
and X for the mouse even was active twice.

Using a remote ssh connection and the iKVM I tried:
-- reinstalling the Nvidia driver
-- removing the proprietary nvidia driver and using nouveau but that had
the same resulting blank screen.

These vga cards present are:

04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK104 [GeForce GTX
760] (rev a1)
0a:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ASPEED Technology, Inc. ASPEED
Graphics Family (rev 30)

While it is possible to reinstall the system and hope the problem
disappears by default, I would much rather understand how to edit the
display management configuration to make this work properly. Since the
system-config-display was removed I have not learned how to edit the
display options except for the basic display preferences dialog.

Additional guidance is appreciated.

Thank you,
Kevin