Progress - Re: How to increase maximum user cpu usage allowed on a multi core system?

stan stanl-fedorauser at vfemail.net
Sat Mar 21 20:49:38 UTC 2015

On Mon, 9 Mar 2015 12:03:39 -0700
stan <stanl-fedorauser at vfemail.net> wrote:

> But, when I run a compile job with -j6, in order to allow all six
> cores to be used, it limits the total amount of usage to 100% of a
> *single* core.

Booting from a Knoppix live DVD works.  All six cores are utilized
during a kernel compile.

What doesn't work:
Stock Fedora kernel 3.18.7 in F20.
Vanilla kernel.org 3.19.2 kernel in F21.
Patched kernel.org 3.19.0 kernel, bfs and bfq patched, in F21.
Custom compiled Fedora 4.0 kernel in F21.

So, it is something in Fedora or my configuration of it.  My F21 was a
clean install, and I don't recall setting anything that would affect
this, but it is possible.  Maybe I'll try live media from another
distro to see if it solves the problem.  Or live media from Fedora.

Anyway, getting closer.