Strane UUID problem

Heinz Diehl htd+ml at fritha.org
Sat Mar 21 21:04:35 UTC 2015

On 21.03.2015, Chris Murphy wrote:

> OK it's a little annoying when you provide so little information from
> the very start about what you're trying to do, and what the setup is,
> and now you're not even using a Fedora kernel.

My original posting was kinda sort of "does this ring a bell?".
Otherwise I would have filed a bug report. It's not that important to me. Was
just curious why it failed. Btw: tried it on my Arch machine, and it works.

What I did was:

1. Booting into rl 1
2. Backup /home (with rsync)
3. mkfs -t nilfs2 /dev/sdaX
4. Restoring /home
5. Fixing fstab with the correct UUID for /home
6. Reboot

> It's sorta important information to say upfront when you're having
> a problem. I don't really know what state your system is in now
> to even have a chance of reproducing the problem.

My system is fine, and the phenomenon is 100% replicable.
And the behaviour is the same with the latest Fedora kernel from the Fedora
update repo.

> When I install kernel-modules-extras, nilfs2 on /home works for me, I
> don't have duplicate UUIDs, and boot doesn't fail when trying to mount
> home. *shrug*

Just curious: does cleanerd get invoked when /home is mounted at boot time?