checkboxes in f21 gnome apps

Stuart McGraw smcg4191 at frii.com
Mon Mar 23 04:47:25 UTC 2015

On 03/22/2015 02:47 PM, David A. De Graaf wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 04:41:34PM -0600, Stuart McGraw wrote:
>> I just installed Fedora-21 and xfce.  Install was from
>> the regular live x64 download, not the xfce spin.
>>
>> I have an odd problem with checkboxes in gui dialogs:
>> they don't show any checkmarks.  If I click on a
>> checkbox, a checkmark will appear for a fraction of
>> a second then disappear.  From the program's behavior
>> I can tell that the setting got set but it is obviously
>> difficult if one can not see which boxes are checked
>> in a dialog and which aren't.
>>
>> This problem seems to be limited to Gnome apps (the ones
>> with the new -- at least to someone coming from F15 --
>> and really unpleasant UI design).  For example, brasero
>> exhibits the effect but k3b doesn't.
>>
>> Does this problem ring a bell with anyone?
>
> Yes, I had this problem today - with kvm, or perhaps virt-manager.
> I was running a virtual instance of WindowsXP, and wanted to activate
> the USB port to talk with a TomTom GPS device.  When I clicked on the
> appropriate box, a check appeared, then disappeared.
> The USB port was, in fact, activated, but that behaviour is quite
> unsatisfactory.
>
> I, too, am running F21 and Xfce4.  I studiously avoid Gnome.

After considerable playing around I discovered that the missing
checkmark effect occurs on whenever an xfce* style is selected
in app-menu -> settings -> appearance.

Coming from Fedora-15, I tried Gnome in this new F21 install
somewhat expecting an improvement in the last three years but
it seems they've borked it up even worse -- scrolling with
a mouse is now really FUd, the UI take more clicks and uses
more space, and the Open menu is a mess.  The Gnome project
seems completely off the rails.