I broke Yum (by messing with Python libs)

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 09:56:34 UTC 2015

On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 23:03:21 -0400, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:

> called "dnf"?....(Dandified Yum...or so they say!) I don't know why they
> feel they need to replace yum, it's been stable and has worked great
> since I've been using Fedora...(from around 13 / 14...) I guess progress
> dictates that all things must change huh?.......just my two cents...

"Stable"? Maybe for basic operation. There are tons of bugs, though,
and these are just the Fedora bugzilla tickets:

  http://bugz.fedoraproject.org/yum

Also, sometimes "stable" just means that development of the software is
stuck, and fixing bugs or adding features has become too complicated or
too dangerous. Eventually the developers find that they would like to
rewrite large portions of the code or even everything.

Meanwhile, there have been new backend libraries, such as package
dependency resolvers that are more powerful (with regard to features
in RPM that Fedora would like to use), more flexible, faster, simply
considered superior by the developers who would like to use them
instead of fighting with the aging code of Yum.

Whether the new software will become better cannot be said yet.
There are lots of issues already: http://bugz.fedoraproject.org/dnf