Does KDE do offline software updates?

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 12:45:26 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-03-24 at 12:44 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Mar 2015 11:14:46 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
> > You mean Gnome makes you reboot for every update? I must be
> > misunderstanding what you're saying.
>
> Why? Would you mind explaining your thoughts?

To quote the OP:

        On GNOME, gnome-software + packagekit + systemd work together to make
        the  user aware of software updates. This includes any installed
        applications, as well as OS + kernel updates. The user clicks on
        Restart & Install in gnome-software, or chooses that option in the
        reboot/poweroff panel. The system reboots, a special systemd offline
        updates target is triggered, and packagekit installs all the
        previously downloaded rpms with a progress indicator, then reboots
        (again).

I don't use Gnome so my understanding of this is based only on a literal
reading. It appears to say that packages are updated with a tool which
among other things causes two reboots. Obviously I know that the user
might just employ yum as I do myself (on KDE) but the description of the
GUI tool is quite specific. Which is why I asked if that's what really
happens. Call it a rhetorical question.

poc